Friday, August 20, 2010

Avocado and Tomato Basil Spread

 





While dining out at L'Express in Montreal, I spotted this visually appealing tomato avocado appetizer being served with crostini.  There and then, I was determined to reproduce the appetizer at home, well at least the look, if not the actual recipe.  I also found the perfect use for my avocados which were at their peak, and local summer tomatoes, which were basking in the bright sunlight on my kitchen counter.  In order not to compete with the delicate flavour of the avocado, I kept with mild tasting ingredients.  To start, I mashed the avocado pulp then added the juice of half a lime to prevent oxidation.  For the tomato portion of the recipe, I simply added some good extra virgin olive oil, fresh chopped basil, and a touch of fleur de sel to the chopped tomatoes.  I then spread half of the tomato mixture on the bottom of a glass, and for the second layer, added the avocado; finishing off with another layer of tomatoes.  Using the freshest and best ingredients was the real key to this simple, yet elegant spread prepared in just a few minutes.

2 comments:

  1. That looks very fresh and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie,
    Thanks again for visiting the site and taking the time to leave a comment. It's a light summertime appetizer, and the addition of the avocado makes for a nice change from the "bruschetta" I usually serve.

    ReplyDelete