Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Apple Cranberry Strudel


 I always seem to have some leftover phyllo after making spanakopita.  Determined not to waste the extra sheets of this paper thin dough, I  was inspired by my peach strudel post from last summer.  Using some granny Smith apples and dried cranberries, I concocted the perfect winter version of this light and flaky fruit dessert. The perfect last minute dessert!

Suggestion: When working with phyllo dough keep the the unused portions under plastic wrap or a slightly damp tea towel as the dough tends to dry out quite fast.
                   The Granny Smith apples can be replaced with any of your favourite cooking apples which will hold their shape. Add more sugar for a less tart filling.
                  

Ingredients:
8 pieces phyllo dough
1/2 cup melted butter
4 cups sliced  Granny Smith apples
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 heaping teaspoon cornstarch
juice of one lemon
1 cup roasted pecan nuts coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla

 METHOD
Add the apple slices, dried cranberries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch to a saucepan. Cook  on medium cook for 3-4 minutes to allow the apples to cook slightly and the cornstarch to dissolve. Stir to prevent sticking.
 

Remove from the heat and toss in the pecans. Stir in the vanilla.

Transfer to a bowl to cool while preparing the phyllo dough.


 Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Lay a sheet of phyllo dough on the parchment paper and brush some melted butter on the surface. 
Add a second sheet on top of the buttered phyllo dough and brush the butter on it. Continue the process until you have eight layers of buttered phyllo dough.


Place the apple/cranberry filling in the center of the phyllo dough, along the width of the sheets

Cover the fruit filling by folding the edges of the dough to cover the filling.
Take the ends of the unfolded edges and fold under to prevent the filling from spilling out during baking.


Generously butter the top

Sprinkle some Turbinado (or demerara sugar)  sugar on top.

Bake in a pre-heated 350º F oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown.

31 comments:

  1. Man, I am getting hungry just looking at this post. I love the idea of making a loaf using filo dough, so creative. The flakiness of the crust with the gooey filling must be fantastic. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks beautiful! Apples and cranberries are one of my favorite combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty, warming dessert! Apples and cranberries are such a heavenly union and I love how you took a leftover and fashioned something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually i make apple cake and apple pies with my leftover apples but now I can make this too. Your strudel looks incredible and I really appreciate how you show step-by-step instructions so chances are I won't mess up...hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. light flaky deliciousness and thats all I have to say about that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea with leftover! Looks delicious and love this combo. Thanks for your detailed method, so easy to follow....

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flaky layers in that first photograph made me drool! This is such a great way to use phyllo dough. Thank you for sharing another creative and beautiful recipe. I hope you have a great Thursday...the week is almost done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well doesn't this look like a picture of scrumptiousness. It looks like a fabulous way of using up spare filo pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So flaky...it looks wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could take a bite right now...it is so tempting and I am sure it taste great. Thanks for sharing such a piece of delectable dessert . Love this apple cranberry strudel !

    ReplyDelete
  11. So flaky and delicious! Maybe I could impressive my mother-in-law with this recipe! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  12. hy Anna,
    First time here..fascinating space you have with a rich collection of recipes...Happy to follow u..
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eva, thanks for visiting. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe. I just visited your blog and look forward to sharing recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Busy Nest, that makes two of us. Love the tangy flavours and colour that cranberries add to the apples.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Claudia, we are probably the same. I hate to waste food and try my best to avoid it when possible. The recipe worked out beautifully, I ended up with a delicious last minute dessert and used up all my dough. Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Abeer, thanks for dropping by. In no way does this compare to the beautiful bake goodies you produce, but it is a delicious last minute treat. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christo, no need for more words; you said all in a beautiful succinct way. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Trick or Treat,I'm glad you found the photo tutorial helpful. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Monet,
    It was a real hit with my husband who loves dried cranberries combined with the apples. You can't ask for an easier last minute treat than this.
    Thanks and hope you and Ryan have a wonderful week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All That I'm Eating, lovely to have you visit. Thanks for the sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nancy and Vijay, Thanks for dropping by and the lovely comment on the recipe. Have a great week-end/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Elin, thanks so much. A great way to put together a little weeknight treat on the table.It's so easy and versatile. You really don't need a recipe, just use any fruit available and let your imagination guide you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Angie, with all the wonderful recipes you produce how can you not impress your mother-in-law? However, if you are in the need of a last minute, no fuss recipe, this shortcut strudel version might do the trick. It did turn out light and flaky.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jay, what a nice thing to say. Thanks so much. Will love to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Anna, first time on your blog
    That looks delectable - My son could have the whole serving in a sitting :) am always looking for good dessert recipes - this one will be a hit
    Do drop by my blog, if you like veggie recipes from a variety of cuisine
    priyasnowserving@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this recipe!! So flaky and delicious! And cranberries always look amazing in baked goods. Thank you for sharing! Officially following :]

    <3Marea

    ReplyDelete
  27. Marea,
    It's always so exciting to see new viewer visit my blog and join up as new followers. You're support is very much appreciated. Also thanks for the lovely comment. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now Serving,
    How lovely to have a new visitor. I'm happy that your son would like the strudel. With all the fruit it is healthier than most desserts. Looking forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow Anna, this looks amazing, and that crust is unbelievable :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks amazing!! Can't wait to try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    I like that you take a lot of pictures! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete